Grade Level: K+
- black crayons or black permanent makers (teacher choice)
- 9×12” background paper (color can be students’ or teacher’s choice)
- colorful paper scraps
- Gather papers (9×12 for background, plus lots of scraps)
- Cut out fun shapes and begin to glue down on background paper. Emphasize that when making a collage, items should over lap occasionally. Liquid Elmer’s glue will work best.
- Let the background DRY before drawing the face. Perhaps teachers could encourage kids to practice drawing heads/faces on scrap paper before moving on to the next step. Best to let dry over night.
- Teachers, decide to use black crayons or black sharpies to draw the outlines of the faces. Either method will lead to a great final product. Tell kids that wobbly circles/ovals are ok for the heads! It’s tricky to draw on collages. (Ideas below about drawing short hair and long hair.)